Narrative Essay

based on a real story.

As I rode my yellow bicycle down the dusty rough road with the brake pads on its last breath, the wind blowing from all directions, and the tires kissing the rough road with a bumpy sensation, all I could think about was the good news. Please be okay, I said to myself reminiscing on all the time we had together

It was a warm sunny Sunday. Palm leaves at every corner and the air is filled with joy as we celebrate, in remembrance of Jesus Christ’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem. The church is elevated, applauding as my older cousin walks up the short stairs with his arms close to his body, breathing quickly and sweat dripping down his face, looking around for me. He spotted a white button-up shirt with a palm leaves design in the middle of the church, his arms striating out, his breathing became normal, the sweat dripping down his face disappeared with no trace. He stood up tall and gave his speech. My cheeks lifted high as my lips parted away for a proud smile.

Applauds loud as fireworks erupted in the church. After the ceremony, we took a lot of pictures to remember this wonderful day. As my family and I walked to the car I realized the star of the day was not with us. He went to see a friend, we did not stress it because he had a bicycle and he could get home by himself, he is old enough. Waves of heat hit our face as we entered the car, “please turn on the air conditioner” I said, eventually the air was filled with the fresh cool breezes from the air conditioner. We rode down the dusty rough road. 10 minutes after we arrived home.

The clock ticks, the sun makes its way to the west kissing the day goodbye. “Where is yourcousin” my dad asked. I replied he is not home yet. Few minutes later my dad received a phone call from someone, at that moment his face turned downwards, “we have to go” he said, I replied “where are we going” but he did not say a word, I began to scratch my head trying to make sense of what is going on right now. Off we went dad driving faster than usual, he ran more than three traffic lights. I never saw such reckless driving from him. For a moment I thought I was in a video game. I started to recognize the area, I said to myself “isn’t this the route to the hospital, why are we going to the hospital right now on a peaceful Sunday evening.” When we arrived at the hospitalI was told to stay in the car

The clock ticks my mind racing trying to find out what is going on. It is getting dark outside I have been sitting in the car for a good twenty minutes I could not take it no more, my patients run out, so I got out the car and header in the direction where my father went, taking every step with curiosity, I spotted my dad near a stretcher with two nurses. I could not believe my eyes. I got a closer look, and I realized it was my cousin, covered in bandages head to toe “how how how how how.”

I burst out in tears; my dad tried to claim me down as we made our way to the ambulance. My dad went on with my cousin without me in the ambulance. There was no surgeon and medical equipment necessary present in the hospital to perform surgery on my cousin so the call was to transport him to another major hospital which is 123.7 kilometers away, it will take at least two hours and thirty-four minutes to reach the hospital. These are few of the serious issues we face in our country. The lack of infrastructure and personnel. But I still had hope because my cousin is a fighter, and he will prevail.

I waited at the hospital until my mom arrived to take me home, on the ride back I could not stop crying because I finally received details of the situation. My mom told me witnesses claim that the accident happened near the church. It was a man who was drunk, driving left to right on the road and collided with my cousin on his bicycle. The worst part of it, is the driver involved fledthe scene. Thankfully, a good Samaritan and people in the neighborhood helped transport my cousin to the hospital. After hearing this my heart started beating slowly, my breath shortens. If mymom was not by my side, I do not think I would have made it that day.

The next day was Monday I had school. Unfortunately, I had to go to school even though I was recovering from everything that happened yesterday. At school I could not concentrate, gazingat the ceiling for an entity class period. The only thing on my mind was my cousin. My friends, teachers and everyone realized I was not being myself, they instantly tried to cheer me up, but all I did was drive them away.

After school I got on my yellow bicycle and headed home. While riding my yellow bicycle down the dusty rough road with the brake pads on its last breath, the wind blowing from all directions, the tires kissing the rough road with a bumpy sensation, all I could think about was the good news. Please be all right. I did not want to repeat another tragic accident for my family, so I snapped out of my thoughts and rode my bike gently and watched my surroundings like a hawk, gradually I made it home.

I made it home sweat coming down as I opened the gate instantly, my heart started beating at a rapid rate, my body shaking as I approached my mom. She had her head down walking towards me with tears pouring from her face like a waterfall. That was when I knew my cousin did not make it. I dropped the yellow bicycle and cried.

It took time to get over My cousin’s death, but he is not forgotten he will forever be in my heart, and I will live my life making the world a better place in his name. Now am 18 years old in college and I wish you were here for every birthday, Christmas, and everything in between. Rest in peace. Live in a better world.